Client: Dillard University of New Orleans, Louisiana
Location: 2601 Gentilly Blvd. – New Orleans, LA 70122
Building Area: 20,000 sq ft
Year Completed: 2012
Architect: Trapolin-Peer Architects
This project consisted of the total interior demolition of all interior partitions, plumbing, electrical and hazardous materials down to the original 1935 historic masonry structure, as well as the complete historic restoration of the exterior of the building.
This building is an historic dormitory building on the main campus quad of Dillard University. Funded by a grant from the National Parks Service, Construction Masters, Inc. was pre-qualified and authorized by the Arhitect, the National Park Service, and Dillard University to perform the historic restoration of the building’s exterior. A non-historic addition had to be removed from the exterior and new structural, masonry and plaster detailing was required to restore the building’s historic features. All windows had lead based paint removed and were restored. New windows had to be milled at various locations and new glazing was required where needed. All brass hardware was polished lacquered and re-installed and all work was approved after a detailed inspection by National Park Service personnel. All work was completed in a period of three months while school was in session. The challenge was to restore the building, to reconstruct the historic millwork and masonry detailing to a building which had fallen into severe disrepair while at the same time not affecting the operation of the campus.