Client: Archdiocese of New Orleans – Christopher Homes
Location: 1501 N. Johnson Street – New Orleans, LA 70116
Surface Area: 57,530 square feet
Year Completed: 2015
Architect: Mathes Brierre Architects
The renovation of this historic structure which was originally constructed in 1872 as a convent, with a subsequent 1922 addition, required strict adherence to historic detailing according to FEMA and the State Office of Historic Preservation. Archeologists were required to perform investigations of all subsurface excavation.
In addition to (57) elderly independent living suites, an auditorium, a full service kitchen, a dining hall, recreation areas, and administrative areas are also included. Renovation of the historic Gate House and Carriage House which harken back to horse and buggy days, are also a part of the project. Much of the structure’s wood framing was replaced at the floor and roof framing throughout the building. Extensive masonry repairs were required to make the buildings structurally sound. New insulated impact resistant steel windows with historic detailing as well as new wood doors and windows retain the historic design of the exterior openings. Two new elevators have been installed to facilitate access to all areas of the facility. The historic ornamental iron gates and railings have been restored and improved at the entrances and the covered gallery connecting the entire facility. The slate roof and historic copper roofed cupola have been refurbished and is topped by the golden cross which serves as the logo for Christopher Homes, the operator of the facility. This project will allow this historic structure to continue function well into the twenty first century serving the growing elderly population’s needs.